What Are My Next Steps?
Some people find having a plan and being proactive about their health empowering, while others find it causes them worry or anxiety. It is important to talk to your healthcare provider about any concerns you may have, so you can work together to find the best next steps for you.
- Call your doctor
- Find a genetic counselor (www.NSGC.org or www.cagc-accg.ca)
If you do make an appointment to discuss your medical history with your healthcare provider, it may be important to gather important information before your appointment by talking to family members about their health history.
- Gather your or your family member’s health history (including doctors seen and tests that have been done)
- Bring copies of your or your family member’s medical records/test results with you, if you are going to see a specialist
- Gather your family’s health history or pedigree (as much as possible)
- Print and Share your family pedigree with your current healthcare provider or other family members.
- If possible, it can be helpful to bring a trusted family member or friend to your appointment
- Write down any questions you want to ask, if you are going to see a specialist